Saturday, January 19, 2008

Alone with my Husband

The title pretty much sums it up. Both of the kids had sleepovers at other kids' houses!!! Mostly when one of them gets invited to sleepover at a friends house the other one comes asking to have a friend over - like they're responsible for maintaining the adult:child ration in the house. Perhaps there was a rare - like once in 5 thousand years type of rare - planetary alignment that allowed for a child-free Prescod house without causing a cataclysmic disaster.

I swear, I didn't know quite what to do!! We've had a child or two under foot for the last 16 years. We'd sometimes get out for dinner & a movie but they'd still be there when we got home.
I started getting nervous - what the hell would we do? I mean, no kids to hear, see or have wake up or wander around. We used to have complete privacy and freedom - what was that like? I was starting to feel like a virgin bride on her wedding night!!!

I had a quick shower and put on clean clothes and did my hair and face before Kerwyn got home. Too nervous to knit - I know, the horror!!! - I cleaned some stuff up moved stuff from some places to others, surfed Ravelry and had a little drinkie (just to take the edge off).

So Kerwyn took me out for dinner and it was wonderful! We didn't even fall into that inevitable parent trap of spending the entire dinner talking about the children.
We decided to watch a movie at home and on the way back I started a mental checklist.
Candles? check
Something sexy to wear? check
Movie that's romantic but not a total chick flick? check (Next with Nicholas Cage)
Wine? double check

It was awesome! Just out of habit - I swear!!! - I knit for a bit, but then I realized that we might not get this chance again for months and I reluctantly put it aside and just lived in the moment with my man.
We even got to sleep in without the sound of little feet pitter-pattering sweet child-like laughter wretched children fighting over the last egg.

Of course, once I was awake I had to take off for the Passport Office - which wasn't the day of waiting that I thought it would be. I was in & out in less than ½ hour and all of that was in the initial line-up to tell them what I needed & get my waiting number. All because I filled out my form online!!! I love online, it's the greatest place in the whole, wide world and this is just another example of why.

Anyway, it was a wonderful evening and it's nice to know that we've still got the connection that we had when we first met, dated & got married. It's nice to know that we still have more than just the kids keeping us together and that we won't be bored with each other when the kids are gone. Kyle's 16, Amanda's 10 ... I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment