Saturday, November 12, 2005

Fine Art, Friends and Fibre

It was a wonderful day for a drive! Sunny skies, dry roads and the eager anticipation of the 3 F's.
This is Jocelyn. A fellow bus driver when I was in Milton, a neighbour and a great friend. Jocelyn is totally cool with an old soul. She put me onto Dead Like Me (then it was cancelled!) and Sophie Kinsella. She knits, cross-stitches and is also a talented artist and I am now the proud owner of one of her pieces. I'm a sentimental sap & knowing the heart & soul that artists put into their work I am deeply touched to have this gift in my home. I miss having her in the next building, and even though she's still only an e-mail or phone call away, sometimes it feels like a long distance. This picture brings you a lot closer Jocelyn - thanks!!!

Then it was on to Campbellville to see Holly. Holly has been my massage therapist for over 10 years, was there with me when Amanda was born and has become a great friend. So great that I have lent her Rowan magazines!! I know what you're thinking, "Lending out Rowan magazines - has she dropped a stitch?!!" A massage therapist who knits is a rare and valuable treasure! There is very little that I wouldn't do for Holly & I miss her a lot too, so we made a quick stop to say hi & pick up Rowan #38 (she is knitting a lovely sweater for her daughter Kate - who graduated high school on the night that Amanda was born - out of celery green - it's nice!! - Polar).

Then to The Needle Emporium!! The parking lot was packed when I pulled in, but Julie took a second to introduce me to Samantha. We did a show-and-tell then sat down to fix her Clapotis. Not having done this KAL, it took a bit of explaining to get me up to speed. Some consultations with Julie and we were off! As this is Sam's story I will let her blog it!
Here is Amanda with Julie.
Amanda is wearing her Sassy Stripes sweater {to which I added 2" to the sleeve length and an inch to the body length and it still just fits! Is 53cms (21") from centre-back to wrist freakishly long for an 8 year old girl?}. Julie gave a me a few odd balls of Noro that she had culled and pointed out some new colourways - that I loved! - so I should be set to finish the Noro Afghan soon.

Amanda was so excited when I mentioned this trip. She asked along the way if we could take 'friend' pictures so that she can scrapbook them. Jocelyn, Holly & Julie have all been great friends to Amanda too. I know that even with her own new little friends that she misses these adults who have played with and indulged her over the last 8 years. I'm really glad that Amanda came with me today. I guess that makes a 4th "F" - Family! I told you that I was a sentimental sap!

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention that I was wearing the denim sweater that you knit for me. It was fun seeing Amanda again-she has really grown up quickly. She'll be able to work in the store soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we should change the spelling of your name to WanniEtta ... because of the who enabler thing. It's not a big change, but that capital E would work well, I think. *lol*

    It was great to meet you, and (for the 1000th time) thank you thank you thank you!! :)

    Amanda is so sweet. It's too bad that sweater pattern was written incorrectly ...

    My hubby and I are watching Dead Like Me in re-runs ... every Monday at 10pm. OMG, it is the BEST show?! Why do the best shows always get cancelled? *sigh* Oh well. I guess poor George will have to live on only in our hearts. *lol*

    I can't wait to see the rest of your afghan! It will be awesome, I'm sure! :) Happy Knitting!

    ReplyDelete