Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I am Woman - part 2

A fistful of Fukitol and a good decent barely adequate nights' sleep can do wonders for a girl. Well that and one more sleep to the end of the school year!

So I tried to install a wireless router to our desktop last night. Everything came in a nice little box. "20 mins" the installation software said. I'm no computer geek (and when I say 'geek' I mean "geez, I wanna be smart like that") but I can follow directions. Mostly. Once I had the modem switched over from a USB connection to a ENET connection (with much props to Jason at Sympatico) and I worked my way through the Netgear installation to this point, I thought that I was golden. Pride goeth before the fall paralyzing doom.

6 hours of my life that I will never get back.

No knitting done - I can't knit when they (fucking Netgear) keep saying "type this" "try that".
No router installed - it's defective. No shit Sherlock.

These pictures show the disaster that I
lived for said 6 hours.
So it goes back to Dell. I told Jeanette that I totally did not want another Netgear - didn't trust that another one would really work and their customer service people were seriously hard to understand, had no sense of humour (I mean really, who should be the annoyed one here?) and I know that one of them was reading from a manual. No bloody way that they are getting a second kick at this cat!!! I have a Linksys router on the way. (I didn't drink the whole bottle of rum, but I finished it off. The alcohol kept me fairly mellow and from getting seriously angry and throwing something out of the window.)

Why do you need a wireless router Wannietta?
Good question. All of the hints
lead to this. I LOVE IT!!!







And while you're in the mood to be amazed here is my Tina Shawl progress.


The end is in sight


Finished lump of lace


Final blocking

I will get Kyle to take a picture of me & the shawl tomorrow before I have to ship it off. I swear, blocking is knitting magic on par with heel turning. They both
actually make me giggle. Total simplicity resulting in deceptive complexity.

The kids were swimming at the neighbours' on Saturday. Kyle has perfected the 'angry teenager' look He stood there an waited while I took the picture - I didn't even have to beg & cajole. Amanda is still unabashedly joyful. They both had a great time - really!

7 comments:

  1. The shawl is gorgeous. And don't worry Kyle will grow out of the angry teenager look and into the angry young adult look at about 20.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - as long as there is something to look forward to!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shawl looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jason!

    Yeah Jocelyn - I call him my "fuzzy-headed kid". He led me to believe that I was going to get to cut it, but he has put it off until July 15th (end of summer school). He better be careful, because if I take a quick cut in the middle of the night he will have to let me finish the job. BWA-HA-HA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to guess a new keyboard, but I didn't think you would be all excited about that. I had a linksys for a while, and don't worry, I am one of those people that spends 6 hours also going round in circles with the PC or cable, but the linksys was a plug and go thing, real simple, even a fool like me could do it.

    Tina is gorgeous, look forward to seeing it off the blocking board.

    Kyle is a very handsome young man, does his hair grow real quick or something because I am sure it was very short just a few weeks ago, when he was modelling his sweater. He also looks about 5 years older in this new picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't feel bad about the so-called "tech support" I read a study somewhere that said that on average only 33% of people hat call a tech support line get useful help! I know at work when the computer gets wonky and I call tech support, I can hear them rustling their way throuh the little list of what to do!
    hopeless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:57 AM

    Oh, dear. You're done the shawl. (I've been buried in day job. Will send you something next week.)

    ReplyDelete