Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Worst Mom Ever

And when I say "ever" I mean that no matter what you've done or forgotten to do in the last two weeks, it pales in comparison to my incompetence!
Let me preface this woeful tale by explaining that Kyle slipped on some ice about 7 weeks ago. His ankle swelled up to disgusting proportions, it was all bruised and he couldn't put any weight on it without tears coming to his eyes and potty words coming to his lips. So I took him straight away up to emerg. and spent the requisite hours waiting and it turned out to be a sprain. Ice and Advil had him back to normal after a week. S
o ...
When I came home from Minneapolis, he had a massive thumb. He'd slipped on some ice (I know, and yet he won't wear actual winter footwear) on the Saturday and landed on the ball of his thumb. He could move the thumb - limited movement, granted, but still ... So anyway, he's still whining about it last week and it's still a bit swollen and bruised but he's doing stuff with his hand so we didn't think too much about it. He was off last week (a different story) when I had to go get my drivers medical done so I asked him if he wanted to see the Dr. since we were at the clinic anyway. "Okay." "Do you have your Health Card?" I asked. "Uh ... no." So that was that.
Today I have him up at emerg. for a maxillary CT scan (another different story, related to the previous different story, but trust me, you needn't feel sad for him about them). After the Dr. tel
ls us that the scan came back clear (no fracture) I remind Kyle that he wanted to ask the Dr. about his thumb. "Oh that's definitely broken."
"Are you kidding me?" I asked, laughing.
"No - see here, that's definitely the mis-formation of a broken bo
ne. When did this happen?"
I tell my sad (but seriously - it's funny!) story, he makes a joke with Kyle about calling CAS, then sends Kyle for the necessary x-ray. Oh joy - more knitting time. And I can't help but laughing when I look at Kyle.

So it's a pretty bad break, as breaks go. It doesn't look so bad to my amateur eyes, but the in-the-flesh comparison is more telling. I know, but how many times do I look/does he show me his hands like that?!? The ER doc pulled all the strings and used his best connections to get us in to see a surgeon - yup, you heard correctly - tomorrow. Now I just have to break it to the office that I need my PM run covered. Not because it's been healing for 2 weeks but because of the location of the break it may need a pin to make sure that it sets correctly. So Kyle now has a temporary cast on it to totally immobilize it and he's not to use his right hand for anything (yeah, he'll be totally bored BWAH - HA - HA!!!).
I did play with the chair make Kyle comfortable
while we waited for the x-rays to come back. Atonement in small steps.

I'm laughing now but I'm sure that I won't be allowed to forget this for the rest of my natural life. I don't actually feel guilty - Kerwyn didn't think that it was broken and he's broken bones playing sports, and Kyle keeps reminding us that he's Sixteen (yes, he says it with a capital "s") like it means something so he totally should have spoke up and said that he wanted to see a Dr..

So, unless you've forgotten your baby on top of the car and driven away or left them at home when you went on vacation then, the award for Worst Mom of the Year will be coming to roost chez Prescod. After glancing furtively out the window for a CAS car, Wannietta draws the blinds and turns out the lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment