Saturday, August 30, 2014

You Can Take the Girl Out of the Country

I've been on a knitcation this week. It has been excellent!!
I've been knitting my way through several TV and movie series - Firefly, Star Wars, Star Trek, Supernatural - and aside from some Back To School laundry & shopping it has been all knitting, all the time!
Today I took 3 hours out of my day to do down 4.5 dozen corn.



Shucked


Blanched


Shocked


Kernels cut off


Cobs after mandolin


Cobs after being scraped clean with a knife


Sweet milky meat below the kernels


Gloved up after the obligatory mandolin injury. Not serious - just sliced lightly through the nail and into the bed. Not very deep or long. And certainly not the worst that I've done to myself.


Vacuum sealing. I can't even describe how much I love this machine!! Even with having to clean out the drip tray after every bag (mmmmm, corn milk!!) it's a tool I can't believe that I waited so long to purchase.


13 bags (most just over 1.5lbs), a meal of corn on the (actual) cob and 16 cobs that I am freezing to try this.
Probably not especially economical, but it's local corn and in the winter when we eat it the taste of late summer will be priceless.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment