Monday, April 1, 2019

Staycation Days 7 & 8

Sometimes I just get caught up in the knitting and then I’m done and just crash. I think about the blogging, but the yarn is so soft and the fabric is just happening ...

Yesterday I knit a ball of Bernat Blanket into the start of my grandson Amin’s blanket. His birthday is coming up (as he has become fond of reminding me). I have informed him that Nana doesn’t miss deadlines, but I really do have to get moving on it. 

Today I cast on to swatch some Lolo did it for a new Sweet Spot strip. It has been so long since I’ve worked on this personal project!! I have been aching to get back to it; I have two strips done waiting for a few more to make another afghan. 
When I cast on and started knitting the knit one below fabric, I just relaxed so hard into it. My fingers loved the feeling of the stitches, falling into a rhythm and seeking out the pattern that I knew was in the yarn. Some of the colourways let the patterning flow out, some are more complex and less obvious, but it’s there. I love this deconstruction of the colours; it’s like dancing with the yarn, a little give, a little take. I played a bit with the tensioning, stacking the colours instead of moving them. 

When I felt like I had a sense of the colourways and how they wanted to dance, I finally stopped. Now I’ll pick the colours for the strip, figure out how much of each colourway I want to do (yes, I have favourites), do some maths, then set to the real thing. 

I have more colours than I will likely put into a single strip, but I picked colourways that I love, so if I don’t use them in this project, I know I’ll find what they are destined for. 

I only have one more Staycation day, and I had really wanted to work on my Chatelaine X cross stitch, but I think that I am going to get lost in this Sweet Spot strip. The magic of the stitch and the yarn has such a hold on me ... I don’t even know how to describe it. 


1 comment: